Civil engineering is all about creating, improving and protecting the environment in which we live. It provides the facilities for day-to-day life such as transport, and the infrastructure allowing industry to prosper. Civil engineers plan, design and oversee construction and maintenance of building structures and facilities, such as roads, airports, bridges, dams, irrigation projects, power plants, water and sewage systems. They also design large structures, to withstand both the ravages of time and the elements. Civil engineers can either be consulting engineers who advise on projects and design them, or contracting engineers who turn their plans into reality and maintain the structures once they are built.
- Travel: frequent visits to sites are required, especially for new graduates.
- You may be required to work away from home for periods of time. Working hours: regular office hours are the norm, with occasional long days and some weekends depending on projects deadlines (Not usually).
- Overnight and weekend stays may require for site inspections.
- Site engineers and managers may be on call 24 hours a day.
- Location: throughout the country. Opportunities for self-employment: possible for those interested in setting up their own consultancy firm, but will normally take several years of proven professional experience.
- Undertaking technical and feasibility studies including site investigations.
- Using a range of computer packages for developing detailed designs.
- Undertaking complex and repetitive calculations.
- Liaising with clients and a variety of professionals including architects and subcontractors.
- Compiling job specs and supervising tendering procedures.
- Resolving design and development problems.
- Managing budgets and project resources.
- Scheduling material and equipment purchases and delivery.
- Ensuring projects run smoothly and structures are completed within budget and on time.
• Sound mathematical and technical skills including physics.
• Ability to think methodically, to design, plan and manage projects.
• Ability to maintain an overview of entire projects while continuing to attend to detailed technicalities.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Negotiating, supervisory and leadership
skills combined with the ability to delegate.
- Civil 3D
- At least one of any of 3D modeling programs.