MSELECT is hiring a DCS Controls Engineer for a major global oil and gas client in Basrah, the candidate must have 6 years of experience with Gas Turbine Driver Control Systems and Auxiliary Systems and will be working as full-time employee, fluency in English and Arabic is a must.
The purpose of the role is to support improvements, optimum availability and safe utilisation of the Power Plant (PP) by effective asset management of the Distributed Control System (DCS) and Mark Vie controls system, through effective engineering, planned maintenance, troubleshooting and the sustainable development of DCS competence and process knowledge of the PP 150 MW Power Plant located in Basra Iraq. Including but not limited to the training, mentoring and development of the engineers and operators.
- Actively manage controls activities on site during operation maintenance of heavy-duty gas, including but not limited to oversight of installation, maintenance, troubleshooting and diagnostics of gas turbine and auxiliary system
- Troubleshooting and programming of Mark Vie Gas Turbine Control System
- Understand PLC ladder logic, including basic understanding of how to navigate through ladder rungs while troubleshooting
- Read and interpret electrical/mechanical flow and instrument diagrams
- Provide knowledge of turbine instrumentation calibration, including various types of transmitters
- Provide technical expertise to engineers, technicians and operators
- Ensure competence levels are maintained in line with DCS access accreditation and ensure any deficiencies are identified and addressed through development plans.
- Engineering, implementation and commissioning of plant improvements that require modification of the DCS system, its code or process parameters; including owning and contributing to relevant scheme papers. Technically competent person as defined by the plant modification process.
- Engaging and assisting appropriate specialist engineering support, internal and external.
- Providing technical support on a daily basis to the maintenance team. (fault diagnosis, rectification and improvement) This will involve ‘hands-on’ engineering, the supervision of staff and is expected to involve an element of call- out support
- Setting the engineering standards to ensure station compliance with statutory and mandatory requirements in the following areas: Process Safety for DCS and process control issues.
- Responsibility for developing the plant asset strategies for DCS equipment, based upon safety and commercial risk assessment.
This will include:
- Routine inspections.
- Critical spares management.
- Developing process control strategies, writing functional and detailed design specifications.
- Plan and implement strategies to maintain systems and avoid obsolescence.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the DCS Management Process. This will include the following:
- System Administration
- Access control and security
- System backup and disaster recovery
- Change control
- Cyber Security
- Alarm Management
- Ability to coach / develop technicians and others not involved in DCS Engineering.
- Input to the key site processes in the area of DCS engineering. These include:
- Plant Issues.
- Communication and support
Health & Safety
- Participates and adheres to plant safety (in order to maintain and injury-free environment), Operations and Administrative Programs and Procedures;
- Understands and masters the ERP Procedures;
- Takes appropriate action when necessary to ensure compliance of safety, efficiency, environmental and administrative guidelines;
- Actively participates in the Job Hazard Analysis and ensures he/she complies with all Safety Procedures and applicable task-oriented job safety analyses;
- Participates in equipment and site clean-up on an ongoing basis;
- Responsible for upholding the administration and implementation of the site’s CoW Process and procedures
BA/BS degree in engineering or related discipline (Electrical, Controls or Computer Science Engineering degree preferred).
The incumbent must also demonstrate the following personal attributes:
- maintain standards of conduct
- be respectful
- possess cultural awareness and sensitivity
- be flexible
- demonstrate a dedication to the position
- demonstrate sound work ethics
- be consistent and fair
Knowledge and skills
Must possess the following skills:
- Experience with Gas Turbine Driver Control Systems and Auxiliary Systems
- Experience on MarkVI, Mark Vie, Mark V controls systems is a must.
- Ability to understand and implement controls software
- Possess a thorough knowledge of GT process and operational issues.
- Possess a thorough knowledge of industrial scale DCS or SCADA systems.
- Possess a thorough knowledge of Microsoft Windows server architecture.
- Possess a thorough knowledge of industrial scale communication networks.
- An ability to communicate complex concepts relating to DCS and the process under control in order to effectively train personnel.
- Be commercially aware and capable of operating with the minimum of guidance and be able to communicate effectively at all levels.
- Be highly motivated, well organized and be capable of providing support to the greater station team.
- Be fully committed and flexible to meet the PP requirements as role will occasionally involve out of hours and weekend working.
- Thorough knowledge of GE Gas Turbines
- Knowledge of Field Instrumentation, and control valves and drives.
- In depth knowledge of ABB DCS and associated networking or similar.
- In depth knowledge of PLC hardware and software.
Must be proficient in English and Arabic, with the ability to present information in written and verbal formats. The DCS/Controls Engineer must be proficient with computer and capable of generating grammatically correct reports.
Ability to work routine math concepts, such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical solutions.
Ability to walk, reach and balance. Must be able to lift 12 kg and work in a field environment. Must be able to access all areas of the plant and conduct physical evaluations of grounds and equipment including the ability to climb and work at high elevations; protective equipment must be worn in the performance of some duties.
Work night and day shifts that will occasionally extend more than 12 hours. He must have the ability to work long hours with limited days off.
- Normal work environment for the DCS/Controls Engineer will be based in the control building and GT local control building; however, periods on site to support or advise
- Local operations will be required. Exposure to outdoor weather conditions, working near mechanical/Electrical equipment will also be required.
Only applicants meeting the strict criteria outlined above will be contacted as part of the shortlisting process.