MSELECT is hiring a Drilling Engineering Section Head for an international oil and gas operator based in Basra. Candidate must have a minimum of 10 years of relevant experience and fluency in English is a must.
The Drilling Engineering Section Head (DESH) reports to the Drilling Manager. Reporting to the Drilling Engineering Section Head is a team of engineers plus support personnel. The role is responsible for drilling engineering, standardization, well integrity, quality assurance, benchmarking, engineering performance management and engineering career development. The role will be responsible for the engineering of drilling solutions on both a campaign and well by well basis to ensure safe, efficient fit-for-purpose well delivery.
The DESH will lead by example in the ongoing training and development of Iraqi national engineers in the team. The DESH is a performance driven leader who demonstrates a strong commitment to HSSE, mentoring his team and continually seeking opportunities to improve KEC drilling operations.
A strong working relationship with the Sub Surface team, the Well Services team, the engineering team of other departments such as Projects and Production, and the CPL team is essential to succeed in this role. The role of DESH is the technical focal point for the inputs into ongoing drilling contracting work.
Key roles and responsibilities include
- Delivery of safe and environmentally sound drilling engineering solutions on time and within budget. Monitoring and coaching of staff & contractors to achieve an international safety culture, with a strong emphasis on development of Iraqi Nationals.
- Managing and developing the KEC drilling engineering organization.
- Working with the sub-surface team to ensure delivery of new well designs and programmes to meet both annual and long-term production targets. Overseeing full integration between the Subsurface and Drilling during the planning process and operational phase.
- Implementation of the KEC Well Delivery Process. Responsibility for technical integrity and assurance of well designs and technical risk assessment, management, contingency planning and mitigation.
- Assuring the technical integrity of the operations and compliance with KEC Standards.
- Ensuring alignment with KEC Standards, integration of learnings, best practice and benchmarking data.
- Administration of contracts to deliver drilling operations and identification of future contract requirements. Providing a technical focal point for all the inputs into tendering & contracting campaigns.
- The identification and application of value enhancing, innovative and new technologies.
- KEC point of contact for drilling engineering activities.
- Specification and standardization of installed well equipment (OCTG, wellhead, trees, etc.)
- Review of drilling programmes and recommendations for improvement and optimization.
- Coordination of in-house technical support and external drilling technical support
- Participation in rig / well site and service base audits for conformity to KEC Standards.
Criteria & qualifications
- Proven track record as a strong team player and ability to lead a team with a personal commitment and proactive approach to HSSE.
- Minimum 10 – 15 years of relevant experience
- A track record of delivery in an engineering leadership role in a high activity, multi-cultural environment.
- Detailed knowledge of drilling & completion design, engineering and planning is essential.
- A good understanding of Open wells and the Landmark suite of engineering tools is desirable.
- Experience with drilling operations, completions and work-overs including at the rig site.
- A proven ability to coach, train and mentor staff.
- Educated to at least first-degree level in an engineering or related discipline.
- Significant experience tendering & contracting.
- Experience working in a remote / desert location is preferred.
- IWCF Well Control certified or equivalent.
*Only applicants meeting the strict criteria outlined above will be contacted as part of the shortlisting process