MSELECT is looking to hire an Environmental and Waste Coach for an international oil operator client in Kurdistan, Minimum 10 years’ relevant experience in environment and oil spill response, waste management in onshore oil and gas industry, including practical implementation of waste systems, Fluency in English is a must.
Further develop and implement the Oil Spill Response (OSR) Strategy for Kurdistan. Assist in developing and implementing the Waste Management Strategy (WMS) for Kurdistan to ensure compliance with COMPANY Standards and MNR expectations. Assist in developing and overseeing the strategy for pit remediation. Works closely with line and functional personnel to ensure that environmental controls are implemented from Environmental Impact Assessments (EIA’s) and develop environmental risk Assessments for the fields. Develop and train local Senior Environmental Technicians in assisting with the delivery of all tasks.
Oil Spill Response: Develop the COMPANY Kurdistan Business Unit (KU) OSR Strategy by building on the existing reports and plans produced by our consultants. Implement across the KU organization including budgeting and assisting with equipment procurement. Working with the Operations Environmental Advisor, lead on implementing deployment of equipment, OSR team selection, training and exercising. Work with the Environment Team to establish OSR waste disposal routes. Liaison with CSR and MNR to work with local business community. Explore collaboration with MNR and other oil producers to share resources in relation to Tier 2 and 3 responses.
Environmental Controls: Work with line and HSE management to ensure that commitments made in Environmental Impact assessments are implemented in field locations.
Waste Management: develop the COMPANY KU WMS and implement across the organization including waste gathering, separation, transport and disposal according to COMPANY’s waste management Standard and national legislation. Develop and deliver training programs with the Operations Environmental Advisor. Work with suppliers to look at ways of reducing the waste generated at site. Liaison with CSR and MNR to investigate disposal/ recycling of waste options within with local business community.
Risk Understanding and Controls: works closely with the field supervisors to continually understand risks associated with waste management in field and agrees techniques to control emerging risks and issues with environmental and waste management.
Inspections: Conducts inspection, according to agreed check sheets, of environmental controls in field including waste and water management.
Sampling and Reporting: develop sampling protocols and implement a monitoring program for water, soil and air in field according to international protocols and
Reporting and Investigation of Environmental Incidents: ensures accurate field based reporting of environmental incidents and lead investigations to arrive at root causes and learnings.
Contractor Engagement: engages with contractors to ensure environmental controls are adhered to and assist contractors to rectify problems on site or with assistance from other line of functional persons when needed.
Environmental Reporting: Develop an environmental reporting system to align with the MNR and address the requirements of the EIA monitoring requirements.
Local Staff Mentoring and Development: Develop and train local Senior Environmental Technicians in assisting with the delivery of all tasks.
Safety Champion: all employees and contractors in COMPANY are safety champions and are expected to walk sites and to assist in reporting and rectifying safety risks and recognizing positive behaviours. The role holder will be expected to be an active participant in the BU SAFE card program.
Compliance and Ethics: Upholds all COMPANY’s values set out in the Code of Conduct and acts with integrity in all activities.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- an internationally recognized degree or diploma is required in a science or engineering subject.
- IS014001 auditor.
- Demonstrable IT skills.
- Minimum of 10 years’ relevant experience in environment and oil spill response, waste management in onshore oil and gas industry, including practical implementation of waste systems.
- Practical experience of pit remediation.
- Coaching and development of local staff and contractors.
- Dealing with regulatory authorities.
- Middle East/ lraq/ Kurdistan experience.
Desirable Experience/ Qualifications:
IEMA/CIWM full membership.
KEY TECHNICAL COMPETENCIES REQUIRED
- Good working knowledge of Kurdistan and Iraqi environmental and waste legislation.
- Implementation of waste plans following with the requirements of internationally accepted standards i.e. IPECA, IOGP, IFC.
- Good working knowledge of Environmental Impact Assessment processes and compliance activities.
- Understanding of ecosystem services.
- Good working knowledge of Oil Spill Reponses and Management techniques.
- Understands international sampling and reporting protocols.
- Environmental reporting in line with IOGP.
KEY ATTRIBUTES REQUIRED
- Ethical conduct and the respect of others — demonstrable understanding of ethical conduct and respect towards other cultures, disciplines and levels of competence.
- Ability to maintain and develop good relationships with people they interact with.
- Applies creative and initiative problem solving tactics.
- Good judgement and stands by difficult decisions.
- Can apply knowledge to different situations.