MSELECT is looking to hire a Finance Director for an NGO in Erbil, the candidate must have minimum 4 years of experience in a relevant role.
Role of Finance Director
The organization is seeking a full-time Finance Director to work in the organization’s office in Erbil with regular travel to other sites within KRI. The Finance Director will be responsible for all financial activities within the organization including producing monthly accounts and donor reports, budget development, cash management, facilitating audits and ensuring compliance with the organization procedures, and international donor requirements. Contribute fully to the development of organization’s financial strategy across all programs and providing financial analysis and guidance on all activities, plans, targets and programs.
- Oversee all financial operations and direct organizational financial planning and structure
- Control, provide technical support and give feedback on the cash-books sent by each site.
- Review all supporting documentation to ensure compliance with the organization’s procedures.
- Upload the cash-books to QuickBooks.
- Provide timely monthly accounting reports to management including Balance Sheet and Profit and Loss analysis.
- Make sure that social security and income tax contributions are calculated and paid as per regulations.
- Prepare quarterly and annual financial statements and present to the organization’s Board and to KRI NGO office as required.
- Ensure that the Fixed Asset Register is maintained and contains all relevant financial information.
Cash-flow and Banking
- Take ultimate responsibility for the organization cash management policies.
- Ensure cash flow is smooth and covers all activities.
- Review and approve the cash requests received from each site.
- Ensure weekly cash counts are received from each site.
- Liaise with Bank to balance checkbooks to make sure adequate funds are available at any given time.
- Lead the budget development process for the organization’s overall organizational budget as well as individual grant proposal or project budgets, working with Program Directors, Management, and reflecting feedback of others as appropriate.
- Maintain and implement good working knowledge of all project budgets and applicable the organization, donor and country law regulations.
- Ensure Chart of Accounts is up to date and reflective of program and operational requirements.
- Ensure that all budgets are coded and established in QuickBooks.
- Review budgets monthly to ensure that costs have been allocated correctly.
- Provide monthly reports to management on budget spendings and facilitate budget forecasting and review with relevant staff.
- Provide training to budget holders to ensure that budgets are managed correctly.
Donor Reporting and Grant Compliance
- Prepare financial reports as per the donor rules, regulations, and grant agreements; ensuring they are complete, accurate and produced on a timely basis to ensure adequate review and approval by management.
- Ensure all purchases and expenditures are consistent with donor rules, regulations, and grant agreements, and properly documented.
- Ensure all reports produced are in agreement with the balance as per QuickBooks.
- Ensure that all financial reports are prepared in a timely and accurate manner and reviewed by Program Directors and the organization management.
- Ensure that all relevant staff are aware of any donor specific financial requirements.
- Work with the relevant staff to identify any matters arising in the financial reports and ensure that appropriate action is taken.
- Ensure that all donor reports submitted are filed as per the organization’s procedures.
- Produce monthly Budget vs. Actual spending reports and convene the organization Program Directors and management monthly to review.
- Assist with tracking individual fundraising efforts and donations tracking.
- Manage monthly payroll system and ensure all staff payments are in compliance with tax and social security requirements, and are accurate.
- Work with local tax and social security offices to file for the organization’s quarterly and annual filing requirements and payments, working with HR and legal staff.
- Lead preparation for all annual, ad hoc and donor audits. Reviewing and addressing questions of concern from auditors.
- Conduct internal audits, as needed.
- Ensure that internal controls are reviewed monthly and a report produced for management as part of monthly accounts review.
- Ensure controls over payroll exist as per the organization’s procedures.
- Ensure compliance with the organization’s finance manual, policies and procedures.
- Visit all offices to ensure full compliance with internal controls.
- Review any partner budgets and subsequent MOUs to ensure compliance with the organization’s procedures and any donor requirements. Actively be involved in partnerships to ensure continuance financial compliance.
- Review all contracts to ensure financial terms are accurate as per the organization procedures.
- Actively review procedures and ensure that at all times that the organization is in compliance with international best practices for non-profit financial management, and compliance with all donor regulations and requirements.
Systems and Capacity Building:
- Conduct bi-annual review of the finance manual, related policies, and procedures to ensure best practices and organizational efficiency.
- Provide training to all staff involved in finance activities and to non-finance staff on finance procedures.
- Participate in the testing, interviewing and recruitment of new finance staff.
- Work with senior teams to grow the organization, formulating strategies and plans.
- Ensure organizational budgeting processes are carried out and reviewed.
- Ensure that the organization’s systems for managing cash assistance distributions or funds the organization manages on behalf of beneficiaries comply with best practices and internal controls.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting.
- Minimum of four (4) years’ experience working in a similar position at the UN or international Non-Governmental Organizations.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office, includes Word, Excel and Powerpoint, and Quickbooks accounting systems and other accounting softwares.
- Fluent in spoken and written English and Kurdish or Arabic.
- Detail oriented with strong organizational skills.
- Flexible approach to manage and prioritize a high workload and multiple tasks with tight deadlines.
- Good social skills to establish strong working relationships with colleagues.