MSELECT is hiring a Geologist for an international oil and gas operator in Kurdistan. Candidate must have 5+ years of geological exploration experience and fluency in English and Kurdish languages is a must
BASIC PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
To support the development of companies interests in northern Iraq (Kurdistan) through the application of geological techniques integrated with other subsurface disciplines. Provide geological operational support and direction to development team members in relation to the drilling and evaluation of company operated wells on an on-going basis. Interface with other geologists in the Abu Dhabi office and internationally to ensure best practices are defined, shared directly reports to Subsurface Manager and indirectly to Senior Operations Geologist. Build and maintain strong positive relationships with the multidisciplinary technical staff within the business unit. Ensure best practices are defined, shared and put into place.
- Provides a full range of geological support and analysis to the team
- Promote and maintain an integrated approach to communication between the geoscience, engineering, operations, drilling and completions staff in support of Company objectives.
- Support activities of various input groups (i.e. geoscience, engineering, land, business development, drilling) to ensure all technical programs relating to the drilling and evaluation of a well are complete, as well as practical in nature.
- Supervise a team of wellsite geologists and mud loggers that are tasked carrying-out the open hole evaluation of wells as they are being drilled and participate in daily operational calls as required
- Direct and quality control coring and open hole logging operations as they are being performed.
- Monitor the work of Subsurface contractors/consultants and participate in site audits of G&G service companies in the Kurdistan region of Iraq as may be required from time to time.
- Continually propose and develop strategies, in conjunction with the Senior Operations Geologist and business unit members, with the goal of increasing efficiencies and reducing costs related to acquiring an appropriate quality of well data.
- Update knowledge base on an on-going basis in regard to geological evaluation, petrophysics, drilling and completion techniques.
- Share knowledge and learnings with other technical professionals both in Erbil as well as internationally.
- Be available beyond regular office hours as may be required, on a rotational basis.
- Support company core values of safety and sustainability, pursuit of excellence, trust, working together, and courage and creativity.
- BSc in Geology Preferred
- Related Industry sponsored supplemental education
- 5+ years of geological exploration and development experience
- Good understanding and appreciation of the operational, as well as technical principles of coring and open hole logging
- Working knowledge of open hole logging data interpretation and analysis
- Working knowledge of the options available to analyze drill cuttings samples and core samples
- Experience in the use of geological reporting, geological mapping and petrophysical evaluation software
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work and succeed in a multi-disciplinary team environment
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) Preferred
- Fluency in English language Preferred
- Willingness to work outside of normal office hours, as and when required for well operations.
- All groups within the Erbil, in the Field and company Subsurface staff located in Abu Dhabi.
- 3rd party contractors and consultants
- Joint venture partners at Technical Committee meetings
- Representatives of the Kurdistan Regional Government
*Only applicants meeting the strict criteria outlined above will be contacted as part of the shortlisting process.