Our client an international Oil and Gas Operator is currently looking to hire an Instrument Technician to carry out preventive maintenance activities and troubleshooting of various types of instruments. The ideal candidate must have bachelor’s degree or diploma in Mechanical Engineering and 6 to 8 years of hands on experience in instrumentation.
Purpose of Role:
Regular monitoring and rectification of defective instruments and systems, like flow transmitters, pressure, transmitters temperatures transmitters and level transmitters disassembly, repair and reassembly of instrument equipment and assisting in the installation and testing of new instrumentation independently or under instructions, the complete or partial overhaul of plant instrumentation.
- Ensure the duties of their position are performed in a safe, efficient and effective manner.
- Perform preventive/predictive maintenance procedures on instruments, performs inspections required by company.
- Maximize the reliability and availability of plant equipment at all times.
- Carry out routine maintenance of electronic and pneumatic pressure measuring instruments like pressure transmitter, pressure switches, flow meters like orifice and venturi based SMART differential pressure flow meters, flow switches, variable area flow meter, vortex flow meter, and positive displacement flow meters. Also servicing and calibration of level measuring instruments like level gauges, level switches, level transmitters, temperature transmitters, temperature switches and testing of all types of thermocouples and resistance temperature detectors.
- Dismantle service and calibrate of control valves its accessories of SMART Electro pneumatic positioner, position transmitter, air filter regulator, limit switches and solenoid operated valve.
- Calibrate the SMART valve positioners using HART communicator.
- Perform high level critical instruments servicing and calibrating at field itself using HART (Highway Addressable Remote Transducer) protocol supported communicators and foundation field bus communicators.
- Carry out maintenance and troubleshooting of fire and gas system using calibration gas.
- Assist in planning annual shutdown and major equipment turnarounds and carries out complete overhaul rotating equipment. Reassembles and tests equipment in accordance with requirements or tests schedules.
- Assist in inspection of equipment for its healthiness. Should be able to use Tradinco Calibrator (multi-function Test bench), FLUKE model 189 and model 87 V True RMS multi-meters, HART [Highway Addressable Remote Transducer] communicator - Model 275 and 375, SFC (Smart Field Communicator) for Honeywell products, digital pressure calibrator, dead weight tester (Tradinco, Burden Berg), U-tube manometer, digital temperature calibrator, microprocessor based oil bath heater (AMETEK), high precision decade resistance Box, high precision mV and mA source, DC power supply, Integrated circuit tester, capacitor tester, Megger, temperature controlled Soldering station, high precision steel rule and dial gages.
- Should have working knowledge and understanding of digital electronics basics and able to use electronic test equipment for trouble-shooting/testing purposes. Read loop wiring diagrams, control schemes, hook up drawings, relay logic diagrams and pipe line and instruments diagrams. Loop testing and logic checking with DCS system.
- Strict adherence to plant safety Protocols, permit to work system (PTW) and good housekeeping requirements.
- Required to perform job as required by wearing safety body harness and SCBA (self-contained breathing apparatus)
- Perform continuous improvement : improve reliability of equipment/process, improve safety, improve maintainability, reduce cost, active participation in major development projects
- Maintain/update the job completion records.
- Perform technical investigation and root cause analysis.
- Interact closely with all other members of the maintenance team and ensure smooth operation.
- Ensure the KPI of the maintenance team is achieved.
- Responsible for the support of company safety, environment and quality policies and programs, and carrying out specific duties and responsibilities related to his job as spelled out in management system documentation, policies, procedures, local documentation, management system manual, safety manual and other related documents.
- Requires basic understanding and capable of reading and understanding P and IDs, schematic, logic single line wiring diagrams/drawings
- Adhere to the work management process of the company’s procedures.
Key working relations:
- Maintenance Supervisor and Production Supervisor.
- Production team and other departments.
- Equipment manufacturers and vendors.
- Service company representatives.
- Able to interact with personnel and maintain effective relations in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment.
- Conduct one-self in a professional manner.
- Record anomalies in log book and equipment history file.
Qualification and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or Diploma in Mechanical Engineering.
- 6 to 8 years hands on experience in instrumentation maintenance of rotary equipment in oil/gas petrochemical industry, which includes – preventive, corrective and shutdown maintenance of DCS, PLC and ESD systems.
- Able to communicate with production operators to determine equipment faults.
- Experience testing electric motors, associated cables for defects and repair electrical devices.
- Work to a recognized standard.
- Familiar with flow, pressure, temperature and level controllers.
- Experience in state-of-the-art electronic controllers and level instruments.
- Able to read service and procedure manuals.
- Computer literate, able to up-date service records.
- Capable of using precision measuring instruments.
- Familiar with switch gear installations and maintenance.