Online newsletter based in Erbil is looking for a skilled Managing Editor to oversee the company’s daily publishing operations. You will be reporting only to the Editor-in-chief and supervise writers, editors and other external parties.
As Managing Editor you will need to combine the innovativeness of a writer with the practical focus of an operations manager. You should be able to suggest ideas for stories and see them through to publication. You will also be required to reach out to contributing writers for the newsletter.
We expect excellent organisational and leaderships skills as well as a unique problem-solving ability.
- Plan and manage all daily operations
- Collaborate with editor in chief to determine issues’ content and topics
- Coordinate editorial publications and meetings
- Plan and approve assignments for writers and editors
- Control schedules and enforce deadlines (for writers, photographers, designers etc.)
- Oversee proofreading procedures and edit copy when necessary
- Assist in evaluating finalized copy for compliance with policies, style and tone
- Resolve issues as they arise
- Attend events on behalf of the company or editor in chief
- Organise events, workshops, and conferences with partners
- Manage social media channels
- Proven experience as Managing Editor or relevant role
- Exceptional ability in copywriting and editing (samples required)
- Fluency in English
- Working knowledge of online platforms like WordPress and SEO concepts
- Abilities in planning and coordinating people and operations
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills
- Outstanding communication and people abilities
- Reliability and efficiency
- Attention to detail
- BSc/BA in journalism or relevant field
Only applicants meeting the strict criteria outlined above will be contacted as part of the shortlisting process.