MSELECT is looking to hire a Mud Engineer for a major oil & gas company to be based in Erbil, Iraq.
Job Summary and Scope of Responsibilities
Facilitates the drilling process by coordinating various activities such as suspending cuttings and controlling Ensures that the drilling mud utilised is in line with the required specifications based on the expected geology
- Engineers and advises on the work of the mud service companies engineers on the rig including receiving daily information from the service companies’ mud engineers to ensure operations ore according to prescribed program and making periodic visits to the rigs to ensure proper application of the programs and availability of the proper tools and materials needed.
- Studies and prepares programs for mud making using various programs depending on type of drilling and location, such as exploration, directional drilling, vertical drilling and work over fluids.
- Analyses and evaluates the mud materials and/or chemicals to ensure that they meet specifications, includes performing required laboratory tests and analyses, and evaluating the materials and/or chemicals used in the field.
- Controls the mud operations considering cost and time. Includes finding the most suitable materials at the lowest price and ensuring the efficient application of the materials by the service companies to avoid losses in time and cost.
- Estimates the mud, materials, and chemical requirements for stock and for running of all drilling and work over rigs. Includes estimating tonnage per material, per well, per year, and forwarding estimates to Drilling Manager to ensure availability of stock in materials.
- Liaises with mud service companies in discussions on materials, mud engineering techniques and mud engineers to be used for new drilling operations.
- Performs other related duties, such as discussing any mud related problem with Senior Drilling Supervisors, ensuring availability of stock.
- Implements all HSE guidelines and regulations and ensures compliance with acceptable norms and standards.
- Reports to the Direct Supervisor on all issues relating own responsibilities
- Bachelor degree Petroleum Engineering or equivalent technical field
- 10-12 years’ related experience
- Middle East Experience mandatory (preferably experience in Kurdistan)
Competencies, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent organizational and planning skills
- Excellent communication skills in English (spoken & written)
- Commitment to continuous learning
- Knowledge sharing
- Time management
- Ability to work under stress
- Trouble shooting and problem-solving skills required
- Able to take swift and sound decisions in case of emergencies in order to assure that the safety of personnel is not jeopardized
- Well-developed interpersonal skills
- Multi-tasking skills
- Cultural awareness
- Team player
- Ability to work with personnel from various backgrounds
- Excellent knowledge of mud engineering
- Good understanding of drilling rig location construction
- Excellent knowledge of drilling fluids
- Excellent project management skills
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office suite
Only applicants meeting the strict criteria outlined above will be contacted as part of the short listing process.