MSELECT is hiring a Security Risk Management Advisor for an international development organization in Nineveh to Ensure all policies and procedures are effectively communicated and respected, 3-7 years’ professional experience in a comparable position, fluency in English and Arabic is must.
Security risk management
- Monitors the security situation and advises on short-term, mid-term, and long-term changes based on trends and developments in Basra and Southern Iraq
- Collects up-to-date security and political information through formal and informal contacts
- Monitors road conditions regarding security in the area of responsibility
- Maintains and colour-codes the movement map according to up-to-date security information
- Maintains and updates mapping of natural districts; security-related (man-made)
- incidents; health-related risks; political, military, ethnic, and religious realities and structures.
- Supports and enables projects to be implemented in a safe and secure manner
- Acts as the primary security focal point for all The staff in Basra and wider Southern Iraq
- Maintains the security risk management system for Basra in line with the countrywide system
- Conducts site security assessments (residence, office, sub-office, guest house,
- warehouse and etc.) and advise on mitigation measures, also support implementation
- Ensures all collected data are logged in a database system.
- Ensures all policies and procedures are effectively communicated and respected
- Supports incident and crisis management
Liaison and networking
- Acts as the focal point to contracted security providers in Ninawa.
- Cultivates a cooperative and service-oriented relationship with projects and colleagues.
- Establishes formal and informal contacts with senior actors that have or may have an influence on the process of a safe and secure project implementation.
- Establishes and maintains contacts with relevant sections of NGOs, GOs, and UN organizations; and attends the local security meetings organized by development organizations if possible.
- Establishes good working relationships with governmental bodies and senior local security authorities and maintains friendly relations with domestic security and intelligence services.
- Establishes contact networks with other relevant actors.
- Establishes and maintains contacts with informal power structures.
Security briefings and advise
- Briefs and advises the Head of the RMO on the security and political situation in Basra whenever requested, changes occur, or fresh intelligence is received.
- Provides safety and security briefing for newly arrived national and international Staff
- Provides regular updates to the Head of RMO to inform security briefings and
- coordination/information meetings
- Records and reports any project-related irregularities and dissatisfaction
- Immediately reports all incidents regarding transportation to the RMO
- Drafts incident reports, threat warnings, and advisories, etc.
- Supports the biweekly in-country briefing and RMO’s analysis products
Other duties/additional tasks
- Supports fleet management and movement monitoring as well as colleagues’ journey management
- Take on other related tasks assigned by the RMO
Required qualifications, competencies and experience
- Decision-making capacity: Demonstrated well-balanced judgment in security management skills to mitigate vulnerabilities, threats, and risks as well as manage protection issues
- Planning and organization: Sound organizational and management skills including a strong service orientation. Ability to plan and organize assignments with little supervision, prepared to up manage and ask for support when it is needed
- Accountability: Operates in compliance with service rules, regulations, policies and procedures. Assumes full responsibility for actions and decisions
- Technology awareness: Willingness to use automation technology. Computer skills and basic familiarity with vehicle tracking systems are required
- Work under stress: Professional and courteous attitude and demonstrated
- ability to work effectively in a stressful environment
- Communication: Ability to provide instruction clearly and concisely both orally and in writing. A high sense of confidentiality
- Teamwork: Ability to lead yet closely coordinate with team colleagues and superior virtually. Ability to work in a multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and
- respect for diversity, including gender. Ability to manage interpersonal conflicts with a high level of self-reflection
- Commitment in continuous learning: Interest in upgrading and learning new
- skills in this professional field.
- University degree in a related field such as well as relevant security training
- Higher education, courses in military, police and other relevant field is an asset
- 3 to 7 years of progressive working experience in a similar position
- Proven working knowledge of security risk management for humanitarian/development actors
Other knowledge, additional competencies
- Good working knowledge of ICT technologies and computer applications (e.g.MS Office, Access or other database programmes)
- Proficiency in both English and Arabic
- Well-connected and well-respected in the geographical area of responsibility
- Excellent social skills to build further network of contacts
*Only applicants meeting the strict criteria outlined above will be contacted as part of the shortlisting process.