MSELECT is looking to hire a Senior Technical Advisor for an international development organization in Erbil. Must have minimum 10 years’ progressive work experience, from an NGO, Donor or UN agency and must be able to speak fluent Kurdish and Arabic
The aim of the project is to assist in stabilizing households affected by the ISIS conflict after Iraqi and international forces re-took areas previously occupied by ISIS. Due to the immense destruction caused by the war, the organization has developed a project aiming at creating livelihood and income generating activities for returnees, including return from 3rd countries, host communities and other vulnerable groups. The component of Livelihoods consists of several sub-components, such as Cash for Work, Apprenticeships, Business grants, TVET, social cohesion programs and is intended to ease the financial burden on families coming out of displacement (returnees) by offering them different kinds of livelihood opportunities. The project is designed in a conflict sensitive framework with focus on ‘do no harm’ throughout all aspects of the project.
Scope of work:
Under the supervision of the head of program, the Senior Technical Advisor (STA) will independently further develop the existing organization approach under the Livelihood and Cash for work component. The STA is providing technical advice to its superiors and will be acting as organization senior representative implementing partners, contracted under this component. He/She will be tasked with ensuring that organization contracting partners fulfil roles and mandates towards organization and their contracts.
The STA must be a senior advisor, with substantial experience in both humanitarian – as well as development programming, with at least 10 years’ experience of proven track record in managing multi partner programs in excess of 10 Mill EUR. The STA should be confident and eloquent in pursuing his/her work and act in an organized and efficient manner toward organization partners, Beneficiaries and other entities within his/her duty.
STA specific responsibilities:
- The STA will coordinate all operational functions between organization and relevant partners, including NGOs, UN and Governmental entities related to the program and projects for livelihoods interventions,
- The STA must be experienced in designing livelihood programs and be able to develop current programs further,
- The STA assist in ensuring adequate support to staff and project team(s) and must coordinate with relevant sectors, clusters and partners, to achieve efficiency and effectiveness of the program,
- The STA assist the AV in financial/reporting aspects she deems necessary, and support her on budget reviews, reporting, liaison and planning purposes for the benefit of the organization, partners and target populations,
- The STA will be responsible for maintaining a substantial Monitoring and Evaluation component (M/E), including ensuring partners live up to contractual reporting of expenditure of Grants, according to agreed interventions,
- The STA must ensure that health, safety and security procedures are followed at all times, and that corrective, timely actions are taken in consultation with the AV, should there be a need thereof,
- The STA must represent the organization toward relevant partners, grant holders, authorities etc., and should be excellent in negotiating, representation and presentation of organization toward partners and external audiences,
- The STA must ensure compliance with the organization and donor policies amongst partners, according to organization regulations,
- Ensure adequate communication and coordination between field-based partners, technical coordination and sections with support functions within the organization, such as engineering work, and must at all times ensure rules and regulations are followed by grants holders, and according to organization standards
- Assist the AV in ongoing capacity building of own and colleague’s skills for the benefit of the organization and the program, including direct support to colleagues based on needs,
- Supervise relevant staff under the Livelihoods component,
- Assist the AV in operational aspects she may deem necessary.
Coordination and representation:
- Support the AV and programming/project staff in ensuring quality implementation of all aspects of the program, including that of M/E, construction monitoring work etc.,
- Represent organization in relevant UN, HCT and Governmental fora, such as clusters, working groups, stakeholder meetings etc.,
- Actively develop and maintain effective working relationships with key stakeholders, such as direct and indirect partners, beneficiary fora, including traditional and tribal leadership entities etc.,
- Always aim at promoting strategic and benefitting networks for the organization,
- Any other tasks the AV deem necessary.
- Minimum a Master’s Degree in relevant discipline, such as Political Science, Development Economics, Peace and Conflict Science, Macro Economics, Anthropology or Social Sciences.
- In depth knowledge of livelihood and cash for work programing.
- Minimum 10 years’ progressive work experience, from an NGO, Donor or UN agency,
- Proven track record of handling large donor funded programs, in excess of 10 Mill EUR,
- Must be able to supervise up to 10 subordinates, both national and international staff,
- Must be able to speak fluent Kurdish and Arabic,
- Must have substantial skills in PCM, budgeting, Monitoring and Evaluation systems, donor reporting etc.