A well-known Kurdish university is looking for a Director of Human Resources with a minimum of 3 years of managerial experience in a similar position, to be based in Erbil. The HR Director maintains and enhances the university’s human resources by planning, drafting, implementing, and evaluating human resource policies, programs, and practices in coordination and consultation with the Vice Chancellor and Provost.
- Formulates, interprets, and explains implements human resource policies, procedures, laws, standards and regulations.
- Facilitates hiring of employees and processes hiring-related paperwork.
- Schedules and conducts new employee orientations.
- Prepares and validates contract of employment to include details such as duties and responsibilities, compensation, benefits, work schedules, working conditions and promotion opportunities.
- Addresses employee relations issues such as harassment allegations, work complaints, or other employees’ concerns.
- Prepares and maintains employment records relating to activities such as recruitment and selection, induction, performance management, employee relations and welfare, disciplinary matters, termination, leaves, transfers and promotions.
- Drafts, maintains and updates human resource documents, such as organizational charts, employee handbooks and performance evaluation forms.
- Prepares HR employees for assignments by establishing and conducting orientation and training programs.
- Ensures legal compliance by monitoring Iraqi Labour Code and any other applicable employment codes in Kurdistan Region.
- Maintains own professional and technical knowledge through continuous professional development.
- Liaises with and supports other Directors, Dean and Chair of departments in their efforts to achieve the goals of the University.
- Contributes to team efforts within and outside the University in accomplishing results.
- Undertake any other duties commensurate with the nature of the post at the discretion of and request from line manager.
- A university degree in Human Resource Management, General Management and Administration, Public Administration, Business Management, or a closely related field. A candidate with a Master’s degree would be preferred.
- Minimum of three years managerial experience in a similar position in Higher Education institution(s).
- Fluency in the English language (Speaking, Writing and Reading). Ability to do the same in Kurdish will be an advantage.
- Good organizational, time management, report-writing and presentation skills.
- Knowledge of relevant HR policies and procedures such as: hiring, human resource management, benefits administration, performance management, compensation and wage structure, managing diversity, job design and classifications.
- Ability to work in a professional, impartial and non-judgmental way.
- Ability to provide personal assistance, emotional support, or other personal care to staff.
- An awareness of cultural diversity and its impact on workplace.
- Ability to work under pressure, prioritize, meets targets and deadlines.
- Ability to identify staff development and training needs and develop staff training programmes.
- Good administration skills including the ability to use HRM and IT applications effectively.
- Experience in leading projects and implementing new initiatives.