MSELECT is looking to hire a Senior Wellsite Geologist for an international oil and gas operator in Basrah. Candidates must have a minimum of 12 years of experience in Wellsite Geology and be fluent in English.
Carry out geological and well sites activities, monitoring drilling operations, and data gathering on the assigned well, ensuring correct and initial interpretation of data and monitoring and controlling the activities of contractors, so that they meet programmed schedules and quality requirements.
- The senior well site geologist is the senior representative of the Affiliate or Asset geosciences entity at the well site.
- Directs the work of contractors and laboratory assistants on the rigs to ensure proper implementation of the geological program and to ensure safe working practices.
- Provides an on-site geological analysis during the drilling of wells to support the well program in meeting its geological objectives. This include collecting and describing cuttings and cores, advising drilling personnel at well site of expected lithological sequence, pay zones, casing depth, rate of penetration and possible hazardous intervals, ensures the execution of logging programs, interpretation of lithology and drilling fluid condition.
- Prepares geological well forecasts and structural prediction through interpretation and analysis of wire line logs, Geological maps and core data, and prepares Final Well Report related to his assignment for supervisor's review. Ensure that all pertinent data is kept in the computer files.
- Participates in the updating of all geological documents such as maps (Isopach and lithofacies) cross section, core reports and statistics.
- Participate in pre-spud meeting.
- Controls the quality of logging carried out by the contractors; approving the logs, performing well site interpretation to assist in best decision regarding the progress of the well program.
- Carries out other similar or related duties such as liaising with other sections, reading geological maps and preparing reports to gain a good understanding and interpretation of the field geology.
- Ensures that all specialize geological operations (such as SWC, Coring job, horizontal drilling) are carried out successfully in assigned well.
- Ensures all electric logs data complies with company requirements and is delivered to Base camp. Converts Wire line field data file to LAS format and e-mails to the relevant personal.
- Guarantee the pertinence, reliability and quality of the data from the rig site.
- Participate in the well preparation process and contribute to the evaluation and quantification of formation petrophysical characteristics and fluid content.
- Contributes to the training of more junior geologists.
Health, Security, Safety and Environment
- Demonstrate safety leadership and strongly advocate Health Safety and Environment (HSE) policies and guidelines.
- Ensure clear description and communication of subsurface risks during drilling of new wells.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant HSSE management policies, procedures and controls within own area, monitoring, reviewing and evaluating on a continuous basis, and a responsible environmental attitude.
- Leading by example and develop a strong safety-first culture within the own and (sub)contractor workforce.
- Participate in safety-first culture within the own and sub-contractor workforce.
People & Contractor Management
- Manage the activities and work performed by Contractors and Suppliers and ensure that it is carried out in an efficient and effective manner. Build good relationships with key stakeholders.
- Recommend training and development for team members to build their capabilities.
- Contribute to knowledge dissemination/sharing in a way that assists with building internal capabilities of employees.
- Develop overview of contractor’s strength and weaknesses and intervene as and when required exercising contractual rights.
- Contribute to CSR strategy execution.
Policies, Systems, Processes and Procedures
- Ensure compliance with corporate requirements on adherence to policies, procedures and instructions within own area related to all relevant regulatory directives to promote a safe and risk-free environment.
- Improvement of systems, processes and practices.
- Contribute to the preparation of timely and accurate reports to meet Subsurface requirements, policies and standards.
- Report fluently in English language, oral and written.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
- BSc Degree in Geology.
- Application of standard geological software (Gravitas) and pack office.
- 12+ years of experience in Wellsite Geology.
- Experience in delivering wells for carbonate reservoir.
- High ability in interpreting the drilling/gas/geological parameters during drilling.
- Good experience in coring.
- Good experience in geosteering.
- Understanding of wireline logging and pressure interpretation.
- Work experience in the MENA Region, preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes
- Good geological and geophysical knowledge.
- Good interpretation skills of real-time data, wireline/LWD data and drilling information.
- Knowledge of pore pressure and geomechanics fundamentals.
- Track record of leading capability change.
- Mature influencing and conflict handling skills.
- Respectful and adaptable in a multi-cultural environment
- Ability to think laterally and provide creative solutions.
- Ability to drive and achieve desired results within the defined time duration.
- Ability to interact with internal and external customers in a multi-cultural environment.
- Strong communications skills, including the ability to interact effectively with a broad range of technical specialists and partners are necessary, as is the ability to work effectively within a multidisciplinary team to create integrated products.
- Self-starter with positive attitude.
- Solution oriented.
*Only applicants meeting the strict criteria outlined above will be contacted as part of the shortlisting process