A major global Oil and Gas company is looking for a Field Digital Infrastructure LAN Engineer with minimum of 5 years of experience to support passive network infrastructure operations and deliver passive projects. The Field Digital Infrastructure LAN Engineer most have deep understanding of OSI layer 1 including fibre, structured cabling, data centre, and basic understanding of microwave transmission and radio communication. He will be working on rotation of 20 on 20 off and based in Basra – South Rumaila HQ
The Rumaila field, located 50 kilometres west of Basra in Southern Iraq is one of the largest oil fields in the world. It has produced over 10.5 billion bbls of oil in the past 50 years and has the potential to recover a further 15 billion bbls over the next 20 years.
ROO main operating base is a secure environment in the south of the oilfield. This contains the hub of the operations and most of the computer users. There are around 30 outlying sites.
Significant growth is planned over the next few years with additional applications, offices and facilities being built to support the increasing production targets. This will increase the demand for Telecoms Infrastructure and Support Services. ROO IT has a developing infrastructure that introduces frequent changes that need to be managed effectively and speedily. This infrastructure will see significant growth and transformation over the next five years and beyond.
- The role will be required to support passive network infrastructure operations and deliver passive projects
- The role requires a deep understanding of OSI layer 1 including fibre, structured cabling, data centre, and basic understanding of microwave transmission and radio communication
- Support passive network operations mainly structured cabling, etc.
- Manage passive network projects mainly structured cabling, etc.
- Design, implementation, testing, documentation on passive networks.
- Lead local support teams to work on passive network operations and projects.
- Monitoring passive infrastructure operations.
- Identify passive network risks and report.
- Diagnoses and resolves passive network issues.
- Performs fiber splicing, cable termination if required.
- Produce and maintain documentation regarding LAN passive configuration and service records relating to inter and intra-site passive infrastructure.
- Conduct site surveys. Gather and ensure accuracy of the statement of requirements as defined by the Project Manager
- Assist in developing and writing the passive infrastructure scope of work for specific projects/sites
- Provide technical intra and inter site fibre and UTP design drawings
- Develop project Bill of Materials.
- Ensure compliance of Bill of Materials with project standards
- Conduct testing and acceptance walkthroughs upon project completion using the project acceptance checklist, ensuring compliance with all standards
Criteria & Qualifications
- Work experience of passive network infrastructure or structured cabling, at least 5 years
- Fiber splicing, UTP/STP termination
- Cable management skills
- Well-versed knowledge of LAN passive architecture & infrastructure
- Experienced in Fluke testing with Fluke DTX-1800, DSP 500 or equivalent Fluke tools.
- Excellent in English language, both oral and written
- Excellent in Microsoft Word, Excel, Visio & Outlook, version 2010 or 2013.
- Good at Microsoft PowerPoint, Project & Access
- Organizational skills
- Coordination skills
- Good inter personal skills
- Ability to work within a multicultural environment
- Willingness to work on rotation, 20 days on / 20 days off
Nice to have
- Ability to supervise technical support staff
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of technology users
- Willingness and ability to work in harsh environment (hot weather, sandy weather).
- Communication skills.
- Proactive thinking – the ability to come up with options and solutions
- Project or service delivery oriented.
- Willingness to challenge and be challenged
- Motivating, positive, energetic, helpful
- BISCI certificate
- ITIL foundation v3 certificate
- CCNA or CCNP, R & S.
- Work experience in Oil & Gas industries